Atlantic Region CLC Spring Labour Education Week-Long School
St. Francis Xavier University
5005 Chapel Square, Antigonish NS, B2G 2W5
Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. to Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
HOLD YOUR SPOT - REGISTER NOW!
- Domestic Violence at Work
- Parliamentary Procedure - Running an Effective Meeting
- Member Engagement - Member Action
- Leadership Essentials for Executive Members (open to Atlantic Region Labour Council Presidents ONLY)
The Canadian Labour Congress - Atlantic Region is hosting the Atlantic Region CLC Spring Labour Education Week-Long School at St. FX University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia
There are four courses available at this week-long labour education school, designed for union activists and labour leaders:
1. Domestic Violence at Work - This course will help shop stewards, health and safety representatives and other union representatives gain a deeper understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence at work and the role of the union and employer in addressing it. Participants will learn ways to best support members who may be experiencing domestic violence, including how to recognize and respond to the warning signs and risk factors and how to connect members to support and services in the community. Union representatives will also leave with tools to build awareness in the workplace about domestic violence at work.
2. Parliamentary Procedure - Running an Effective Meeting - This course will cover how to run a meeting effectively, the duties of a chairperson and secretary, and how the rules of order can provide a democratic and fair process to get the business of the union accomplished.
3. Member Engagement - Member Action - This course is designed for experienced shop stewards, local union leaders and union staff who want to transform how members engage with their union and how their union engages with members. This course will train particpants on the three-step approach to effective member engagement (Go, Listen, Build) and connect it to a three-stip approach for building an active membership (one-on-one communication, taking action on worksite issues, and designing a strategy and plan to win). This training is particularly helpful for unions with upcoming contract negotiations, a backlog of unresolved grievances, a particularly disengaged membership, or a diverse membership that is not reflected in local leadership. Each participant will leave the training with a worksite specific plan for creating an engaged and active membership as well as a series of measurable goals to evaluate outcomes.
4. Leadership Essentials for Executive Members - This session is open to Labour Council Presidents in the Atlantic Region ONLY. Who am I as a leader? As a president? Who are we as a labour council? How do we fit into the broader movement? Learn how to use the power of your elected position to build power in your labour council, create space for more members to get involved, and strengthen solidarity in the labour movement and in our communities.
$699 for single accommodations
$599 for shared accommodations
$999 for single accommodations plus spouse/guest (18+)
$299 for course & meals only (no accommodations)
Registration for our Canadian Labour Congress Atlantic Region courses include breakfast, lunch, dinner and breaks, accommodations (except for $299 registration) and all course material. Participants with accommodations will have full access to the fitness center and pool at St. FX University for the duration of our event.
Schedule for the Week: On-site registration will open at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday June 22, 2019 followed by an evening plenary session at 7:00 p.m.. The keynote address will be announced at a later date! Courses will begin the next morning (on Sunday June 23th) and will run until 12:00 p.m. (Noon) on Wednesday, June 26th.
Registration Deadline: May 31, 2019 at 5 p.m. AST
To change or cancel a registration after it has been submitted you must contact the Atlantic Regional Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a $200 cancellation fee for any registrations cancelled on or after May 31, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. AST. Cancellations made on or before May 31, 2019 at 4:59 p.m. AST will receive a full refund.
*Don't Forget to choose your course before submitting your order.
1. Login to site with your username and password. (If you have forgotten your username or password, email email@example.com for assistance. Do not create a second account.)
2. Click Register Myself or Register Someone Else.
3. In the Registration Options, select the type of accommodation that is required, Single for a room by yourself. Single + spouse/guest (18+) if you are bringing your spouse/guest. Shared if you are going to room with another participant at the school, (no spouse/guest). Course, Materials and Meals ONLY (no accommodations) if you are staying off campus and will not require accommodations.
4. Scroll down to your course and select Add next to your course.
5. Once completed proceed to the check out. Choose payment method Pay now (by credit card) or Pay later (by cheque, to be received at the CLC Atlantic office NO LATER than June 12, 2019). Then confirm your purchase by clicking Submit Order.
6. A confirmation email will be sent to the email you specified.
- Childcare will NOT be provided.
- Guests MUST be 18 years of age or over.
- Participants and guests will have access to the fitness center and pool during the day.
Links: Greetings from CLC President Salutation de la part du président Agenda
St-FX Campus Map Antigonish NS Map